Thursday, April 17, 2008

Melody Assignment

For my final assignment, I decided to submit the melody created by the gadget I made in my Interactive Objects class.

My Interactive Object consists of a modified servo motor mounted above a plywood square, with a pulse-width modulator to manipulate the motor speed. The motor turns a rod arm with weights suspended from each end. As the arm turns, the weights strike a series of shot glasses and copper pipe fittings.

My idea first came for this assignment in my Interactive Objects class when I had decided to take a more mechanical approach in my exploration of sound.

Overall, I think the music-making part of the object turned out well enough. The idea could be further developed by adding greater ability to manipulate the melody by being able to move the glasses. I glue-gunned the glasses to the board because I was paranoid about them breaking, which probably affected some of the sounds.




Click Here to Listen

No comments: